The Personal Injury Lawyers
No Win, No Fee, Guaranteed

Compensation News, Articles & Guides

Read our news and useful guides to help with your compensation claim. Chat with us for free, call free or GET A FREE CLAIM ASSESSMENT today.


Personal Injury News, Articles & Useful Guides On Compensation Claims

For many years we have won claims on behalf of clients.

So we thought it prudent to gathering some of those extensive details about compensation claims, legal developments, interesting and relevant articles, guides and more, all in to one place.


Some of the articles are very comprehensive and dense, you can search above or view by each posts tags to find out more.

Got a question? Contact us and we'll be glad to help you and clarify anything you need.

Am I liable for injury on my property?

Most people are aware that they may be held liable for injury sustained by a person coming onto their property, and it is advisable that property and home owners obtain public liability insurance to cover such an eventuality. However, in some cases, public liability insurance will not assist you.

You may still be found liable to pay compensation even if you have public liability insurance

In some cases, you can still be found liable to pay compensation even if you have public liability insurance in respect to injury sustained by entrants to your home and property.  This is because public liability insurances do not normally apply if the person injured is considered an “employee” under the terms of the policy or generally at law. It does not matter if you believed you had engaged your cleaner or gardener as an independent contractor and not as an employee – if the terms and conditions of their engagement indicate that they are an “employee” at law, then they will be considered as such.

If your domestic helper is determined to be an employee and is injured whilst undertaking their duties as engaged by you, whether at your home or whilst undertaking an errand on your behalf, then they will be entitled to bring a workers’ compensation claim and possibly sue you for Common Law damages for their injury. Although WorkCover Queensland will meet such claims under workers’ compensation legislation in Queensland, WorkCover will have the right to then seek recovery of those claim costs from you, having devastating affects on you and your family.

For instance, in the case of Hancock v Johnson 213 QSC 341, the Court ordered that Defendant homeowners, the Johnsons, pay damages in the sum of $445,000 and legal costs to the widow of their gardener, who suffered fatal injury when he fell through a metal cover into a hidden collection tank whilst gardening at the Defendants' home. If this occurred in your backyard, hopefully you would have public liability insurance to cover the claim against you like the Johnsons. However if your gardener was found to be your "employee" and not an independent contractor, voiding your public liability insurance, would you be able to afford to meet such a damages award, as well as the legal costs involved in defending such a claim?

Household Worker Insurance

To avoid this possibly happening to you, WorkCover Queensland has an insurance policy for the specific purpose of providing home owners with insurance protection in such cases. The insurance is called “Household Worker Insurance” and costs $50 for a 2 year term.  Further details of this policy of insurance can be found on the website of WorkCover Queensland at: Workcover Household Worker Insurance.

The moral of this article is that, to ensure you are not held liable for significant damages because a domestic worker is injured on your property, it is advisable for home and property owners to hold public liability insurance and a WorkCover Household Worker Insurance to respond to any injury claims by household workers.

What factors are considered when determining whether a domestic worker is an “employee” or an independent contractor?

The key factors that are considered when determining whether the relationship is one of employer/employee and not principal/independent contractor are as follows:

  • Terms of the contract between you;
  • The degree of control the homeowner has over the worker's performance will be considered. For example, whether the homeowner dictates work times, the work to be done and how it is to be performed, and whether permission is needed to leave work or alter work times. The greater control over the work, the more likely it is a relationship of employer/employee;
  • Whether the worker supplies their own tools and products when performing the work;
  • Where payment is wholly or primarily for the labour of the worker, then it is a strong indication of an employer/employee relationship;
  • Whether payment for the services is at an hourly rate, or a set fee for a specific result.  The latter arrangement indicates the relationship of principal/independent contractor (eg. $80 to clean the house as opposed to $20 per hour to clean the house);
  • Whether the worker is responsible for rectifying any defective work free of charge.  If so, this indicates the relationship of principal/independent contractor;
  • Whether the worker can delegate or engage others to do the work.  If so, this is an indication of principal/contractor relationship;
  • Whether the worker has an ABN number which they use to invoice the homeowner. If so, this is an indicator of the principal/independent contractor relationship;
  • If a personal services business determination is in effect for your domestic worker under the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (CW), then they will be considered an independent contractor. How the Australian Taxation Office decides this however is by looking at the key indicators referred to above;
  • Interestingly, for superannuation purposes, the governing superannuation legislation stipulates that domestic workers in private homes are not considered "employees" if they work less than 30 hours per week.

When making the determination as to what relationship exists, the conditions of employment of the worker as a whole have to be considered together with all of the indicators of the relationship.

Workers’ Compensation & Rehabilitation Act 2003

There are also provisions in the Workers’ Compensation & Rehabilitation Act 2003 stipulating who is and who is not considered to be a “worker” in Queensland (Parts 1 and 2 of Schedule 2 of the Act). To view this legislation, as well as further information on what considerations are taken into account when determining who is and who is not a "worker" or "employee" in Queensland, go to our article on this topic at the following link: Who is an independent contractor.  There is also a tool at this link to assist you in determining whether your domestic worker may be considered an employee or an independent contractor under workers' compensation legislation and at law. 

Have you suffered an injury?

If you have sustained an injury at work, in a workplace accident, in the course of your work, in a car or motor vehicle accident, in a public place or on private property, you may be eligible to claim injury compensation or damages if your injury has been caused by the negligence of another party. If this has happened to you, it is advisable that you contact The Personal Injury Lawyers as a matter of priority to discuss your case to see if you have a personal injury claim worthwhile pursuing.  

Strict time limits apply to personal injury claims in Queensland, so don't delay today and find out that you are too late to pursue significant injury compensation tomorrow.  Contact The Personal Injury Lawyers now or submit one of our Free Case Assessment forms on our website. We are available to assist you 24/7 and we will be able to provide you with an assessment of your case instantly - no waiting. You will know straight away from one of our personal injury lawyers whether you have a claim worthwhile pursuing. Remember, your consultation is FREE, totally confidential and obligation free.

Get our accredited Lawyers to assess your claim for free. Contact us now

If you have been injured as a result of any vehicle such as carbike or boat accident, or whilst at work, on holiday, or in many other situations you believe was caused by someone else's wrongful act or negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Even if you think your actions may have contributed to your injury, you may still have a claim well-worth pursuing. Chat, call, email, or let us assess your claim, just press the button below. There is no cost, and no obligation.