The Personal Injury Lawyers

Compensation News, Articles & Guides

Read our news and useful guides to help with your compensation claim or get a FREE 30 Sec Claim Assessment today.


Home > News

Personal Injury News, Articles & Useful Guides On Compensation Claims

For many years we have won claims on behalf of clients, so we thought it prudent to gathering some of those extensive details about compensation claims, legal developments, interesting and relevant articles, guides and more, all in to one place.

Some of the articles are very comprehensive and dense, you can search above or view by each posts tags to find out more. Got a question? Contact us and we'll be glad to help you and clarify anything you need.

How do contractors claim compensation for work injury?

Home > News > How Do Contractors Claim Compensation For Work Injury?

Workers' Compensation, Statutory Lump Sum Compensation & Common Law Damages

Even though you may be termed an independent contractor, contractor or sub-contractor by the employer when your work injury occurred, it may very well be that you have the right to claim Workers' Compensation.

Additionally you have the right to claim Statutory Lump Sum Compensation or Common Law Damages, or all of these payments, as a "worker" under workers' compensation legislation.


Workers' compensation legislation in Queensland

Following a review of the workers' compensation scheme by the Queensland State Government, changes were made to workers' compensation legislation in Queensland to limit the rights of workers who hold an ABN number and issue invoices to their employer in respect to their work.

The legislative changes result in the same definition of "worker" applying in workers' compensation claims as that under taxation laws.

Just because you cannot claim workers' compensation because you are deemed an "independent contractor", "contractor" of "sub-contractor", does not mean you do not have a right to claim damages.


Claiming from a company who contracted your services, or another party

You may still have a right to claim from the entity or company who contracted your services, or another party, where a negligent act or omission has resulted in your injury occurring.  

These claims are usually pursued as a public liability claim, as opposed to a workers' compensation claim.

✔  There is only a small window in which you can make compensation claims in Queensland

✔  Even if you think your actions may have contributed to your injury, you may still have a claim well-worth pursuing

✔  Just press the button below, there is no cost, and no obligation to review your case