The Personal Injury Lawyers

When Does My Worker's Comp End?

If you're currently on workers' compensation, it's important to know when it's due to end & what you should do afterwards. Get a FREE claim assessment today.

HomeFAQ > When does my workers' compensation claim come to an end and what happens then?

When does my workers' compensation claim come to an end and what happens then?

Workcover Queensland or a self-insurer is only obliged to provide workers' compensation benefits to an injured worker until their work injury is stable and stationary.

What this means is, when your treating doctors consider there is no further treatment they can provide to you to improve your injury, then the workers’ compensation insurer’s obligation to meet workers' compensation benefits for that injury ends.

Workcover or the self-insurer will then take steps to close your claim file. 


Be Careful, you could lose your right to claim significant damages

When WorkCover or the workers' compensation self-insurer is intending to finalise your workers' compensation claim, you will be notified of this. The steps you take at this time are very important, because if you take the wrong course of action, you could lose your right to claim significant damages for your work injuries.

Contact us ASAP to enquire whether you have a Common Law claim to pursue, and to ensure any such claim is protected.

Can I Claim For Work Injuries 

How much compensation might I get for my Work injuries? Do I even have a claim? Click the button below, tell us a bit more and our accredited lawyers will give you answers. Fast, Free & No Obligation.

 Frequently Asked Questions About The End Of Your Workers Compensation Claim

 What If I Have Ongoing Problems With My Injuries?

It does not matter if you have ongoing problems with your work injuries or cannot go back to work due to your work injuries.

As long as your injuries are stable and stationary and there is no further treatment that can improve them, then the workers’ compensation insurer’s obligation to pay workers' compensation benefits in relation to those injuries, cease.

 I've Received A Notice Of Assessment At The End Of My Workers' Comp Claim & It Talks About Lump Sum Offers - What Do I Do?

At the end of your workers' compensation claim, WorkCover may issue you with a Notice of Assessment.

This document will set out your work injuries and accord a percentage impairment for each injury.

The impairment for the specific injury will have a correlating monetary amount, being the statutory compensation amount for the injury.

 What Does Degree Of Permanent Impairment Or 'DPI' Mean?

The statutory compensation accorded to each injury is taken from tables of injuries and calculations stipulated in the Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Regulation 2014 at Schedule 9.

The amounts for each injury will be added up and totalled in the Notice of Assessment, and you will be given what we call a Statutory Lump Sum Offer for that total amount.

The Notice will also stipulate the total permanent impairment for your injuries (what is known as a Degree of Permanent Impairment or "DPI").

 If My DPI Is Less Than 20%, Can I Take The Statutory Lump Sum Offer & Pursue A Common Law Claim?

No. If your total DPI is equal to or more than 20%, then you can take the Statutory Lump Sum Offer contained in your Notice of Assessment (with respect to the injuries assessed as 20% or more), and you can still bring a Common Law claim for damages for your work injuries.

However, if your total DPI is less than 20%, then you cannot take the Statutory Lump Sum Offer and pursue a Common Law claim - you have to make a choice as to what you wish to do, that is, take the Lump Sum Offer, or sue for damages.

If you take the Lump Sum Offer, then you lose any right to seek damages for your injuries. You will only retain this right if you reject or defer the Lump Sum Offer.

How much compensation will I get for my workplace injury?

In three simple steps, get a basic indication of how much compensation you may be due for a workplace injury.

Try our Compensation Calculator now and see how much you may be due.

Read Google Reviews Of The Personal Injury Lawyers

  Read over 30 ★★★★★  real reviews from our clients across our Brisbane & Gold Coast Offices. Unlike some firms, we don't get our staff, or pay people to leave fake reviews. Take a look. We believe our reviews, like us, are worth trusting


How Much Compensation Did Other People Get Awarded For Their Injuries?

To help you understand more how much other people, were awarded for their compensation claims, (who may have similar injuries to you) we pulled together some real life helpful compensation claim example case studies.

 What If If You Have Both Physical And Psychiatric Injuries?

The decision to take the offer, once made, is irrevocable and cannot be reversed.

You should also be aware that if you have both physical and psychiatric injuries listed in your Notice of Assessment, the DPI for these injuries are not added together when calculating the DPI, they are assessed separately.

For example, if you receive a total 10% DPI for your physical injuries, and a 10% DPI for your psychiatric injury, this does not mean you have a 20% DPI and you can take the offer and still sue, you cannot, you can either take the offer or sue, but you cannot do both.

 Should I Respond To The Notice Of Assessment Or Any Lump Sum Offer?

No, it is very important that you do not make any response to the Notice of Assessment or any Lump Sum Offer from the workers' compensation insurer without first speaking to one of our personal injury experts.

An incorrect response to the Notice of Assessment or Lump Sum Offer can result in loss of all rights to claim significant compensation.

 My Workers' Comp Claim Has Finished But I Cannot Return To My Job - What Do I Do?

If at the end of your workers' compensation claim, you are not able to return to your work with the employer, you should contact Centrelink as soon as possible to register for Newstart or Disability Benefits.

Alternatively, you may hold disability insurances attached to your superannuation scheme or through other private insurance arrangements.

You should make enquiries with these entities as to whether you have a claim for income protection payments whilst you are unable to work due to your injuries.

 Can I Draw On My Superannuation To Help?

If you are suffering severe financial hardship, you may be able to draw on your superannuation and you should make enquiries with your superannuation fund to see how you may be able to apply for release of funds in the case of hardship.

If you have a mortgage, credit card repayments or car repayments etc, you may have disability insurances attached to your mortgage or loan agreements which can assist you whilst you are unable to work due to your injury. You should look into these with your lenders.

It should be pointed out that many workers think that WorkCover or the self-insurer is required to get you back to work after an injury, this is incorrect.

 Is WorkCover Obligated To Find Me Alternate Employment?

Although return to work programs are usually part of rehabilitation provided in a workers' compensation claim, where an injured worker is no longer suited to the work they were doing prior to their injury and cannot return to it, WorkCover is not obligated to find the worker alternate employment.

The workers' compensation insurer is only required to maintain wage payments and funding for medical and rehabilitation treatment until such time as the worker's injuries are stable and stationary. After that time, WorkCover's obligations end, whether the worker is back at work or not.

No Win, No Fee, Guaranteed

You have nothing to lose with our no win no fee guarantee and nothing to lose by at least letting us assess if you have a claim. If you don't achieve any compensation payment for your claim, then you will not be liable to pay our professional fees or any disbursements we have incurred in pursuing your claim on your behalf.

We Get You The Best Compensation & Recovery

As Accredited Experts In Injury, We know injuries inside and out and how best to get you what you need. We'll Get You Excellent Rehabilitation Quickly And Get You The Maximum Compensation For Recovery In The Future.

 Useful Links About Work Injuries & Workers Compensation

 Strict Time Limits Apply To Claims In Queensland

There is only a small window in which you can make compensation claims in Queensland, so waiting too long can mean you will not be able to get compensation at all.

Sadly many come to us and leave it too late, losing out on help for rehabilitation, medication, to compensate for time off work and care, so please don't wait.

If you have been injured whilst at work, or in many other situations you believe was caused by someone else's wrongful act or negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.

Even if you think your actions may have contributed to your injury, you may still have a claim well-worth pursuing, just chat, call, email, or let us assess your claim, just press the button below, there is no cost, and no obligation to review your case.